Oh dear, May went by so fast! I’ve been on study leave for most of this month, so the time has really flown by and now we’re almost halfway through 2017! I did manage to read a fair bit this month, even with my exams, so I do have a fair bit to wrap up in this post.
Book of the Month
This month’s book of the month has to be The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. The general consensus of this book, which I agree with, is that this is not a book that is a particularly enjoyable read. For those of you who do not know, this book is set in a dystopian future where, due to some sort of nuclear fallout, birth rates begin to fall, and many children die soon after birth. As a result of this, an extremist group take over this area (which I am pretty sure is in America), and the women are stripped of all freedom and power. The main character, Offred, is a Handmaid, and her sole purpose is now to be assigned to a Commander in order to bear children. This was a really harrowing read, and very well written, and I think it is important that everybody reads it. The TV show also began airing in the UK on Channel 4 on Sunday, so I am looking forward to that!
The little things:
- A blogging thing I did – this month I took part in the Noah Can’t Even blog tour, and interviewed the author, Simon James Green, on my blog! This is now the second blog tour I have done, and I really really enjoyed it.
- How my challenges are going – this month, I read no books for my Beat the Backlist challenge – I am definitely going to need to work on this over the summer!
- Music I have enjoyed – I’ve been listening a fair bit to Harry Styles’ new album. I was never a huge One Direction fan, but I quite like his new music (especially Kiwi). Also, because I don’t love the new music, it doesn’t distract me from my studying if I have it playing in the background.
- Goal for May – my goal for May was to start tagging my posts (in an attempt to be more organised), and I did not do that. Oops. I did start putting my posts into categories (after the lovely Lia talked me through how to do it), which has made my blog look a little more tidy!
- Goal for June – to be honest, my goal for this month is just to get through my exams! They finish this time in two weeks, and then I plan to be really active on this blog all summer!
This month I read . . .
- Open: A Toolkit for How Magic and Messed Up Life Can Be by Gemma Cairney
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- The Secret River by Kate Grenville
- The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski
- A View From the Bridge by Arthur Miller
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
This month I posted . . .
- April Wrap Up & The Month Ahead
- Review – Noah Can’t Even
- My Star Rating System
- You Need This Book In Your Life
- Blog Tour: Noah Can’t Even – Interview with Simon James Green
- Review – Show Stopper + ARC GIVEAWAY
- Review – Truth or Dare
- You’re Not Good Enough Tag
What have you read and enjoyed this month? And is there anything you are particularly looking forward to in June?